Sunday, September 30, 2012

Awake my soul



PSALM 108
1   My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; 
          I will sing and make melody.
          Awake, my soul!
2   Awake, O harp and lyre!
          I will awake the dawn.
3   I will give thanks to you, O LORD, among the peoples,
          and I will sing praises to you among the nations.
4   For your steadfast love is higher than the heavens,
          and your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.

I don't like getting up in the mornings. Actually, let me amend that. I don't like waking up before my body naturally awakens. And my body argues with my work schedule, which dictates getting up at 7:00am. I tend to hit the snooze alarm a few times, grumble, and then spend much time rubbing my eyes. Going to bed earlier helps a bit, but not entirely as I simply do not want to get up until I'm fully prepared. Preparation is important. I can help this process of preparation by waking up slowly and waking up well. My day starts better when I incorporate stretching to prepare my body for movement, and best when I incorporate devotions to prepare my soul for the same...yet a few extra moments of sleep often seems to call more fervently. In reading the Psalm this morning, I was struck by the cry to awake the soul. How I need to submit that plea to God each and every day! If I start my day with a request to awaken my soul, how different would that day be? I don't want to spiritually sleep-walk through my physically waking hours, but I think that has often been the case. Awake, my soul. Awake. 

No comments: