Monday, October 1, 2012

For God alone my soul waits in silence


PSALM 62

1   For God alone my soul waits in silence; 
          from him comes my salvation. 
2   He alone is my rock and my salvation, 
          my fortress; I shall never be shaken.

3   How long will you assail a person, 
          will you batter your victim, all of you, 
          as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence? 
4   Their only plan is to bring down a person of prominence. 
          They take pleasure in falsehood; 
     they bless with their mouths, 
          but inwardly they curse.                                             Selah

5   For God alone my soul waits in silence, 
          for my hope is from him. 
6   He alone is my rock and my salvation, 
          my fortress; I shall not be shaken. 
7   On God rests my deliverance and my honor; 
          my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.

During a run today, I was struggling to imagine how I would get through all twelve miles and had a generally sour attitude to the whole thing. For whatever reason, I said a little prayer for God to reveal to me as I ran, and I had this little conversation: "I'm sure I can see beauty on this run if I ask God to show me." Then I instantly re-thought, "I don't know why I expect that-- we're in the city, and it's harder to see beauty here." But then I heard, "Are you kidding? Look at the all the people. Where else can you see such beauty?" When my soul is silent on its own, it can either turn to joy or sorrow, thankfulness or criticism. It can hear truth or lies, and it's hard to distinguish between. If I can just remember that what my soul really longs for is God- love, the source of life, peace, and truth, then its worth waiting in the silence. And I shall never be shaken. Even when I am.

No comments: